Friday, March 26, 2010

A free pattern.. recycled knits!



These mitts are a great way to recycle old beloved socks! When the heels/toes wear out beyond repair (or if you hate darning), simply cut off the foot of some old knitted socks (and save as a nifty little pop can/beer cozy!) frog the gusset and heel part of the sock. Grab some needles (I use 2.75mm for most of m socks but if you always use 2.5mm, go for those) and then add a cuff to the "ankle" (work either in garter stitch or in a K1/P1 or K2/P2 rib, whatever you did at the top of the sock!) and you have yourself some gauntlets and you have recycled some old knitted socks!

The socks pictured have a Feather and Fan lace pattern (from the book socks, socks, socks).

2 comments:

  1. Love this!! I've also have some of the aforementioned socks and thought of turning them into some cutie baby leg-warmers/knee-protector type thingies for crawlers, because I can't bear to part with them, and I'm useless when it comes to darning :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cool my mom would love this

    ReplyDelete